CATCH up with the latest action from the Trowbridge Windows and Conservatories sponsored Trowbridge and District League.

Tuesday, August 17

Division One

After opening the season with a thumping 8-0 victory over Freshford United, early Division One leaders Hilperton United followed that victory up with a 5-1 Tuesday night success away at Semington Magpies.

Hilperton put pressure on their hosts from the start and only a number of fine saves from Magpie’s keeper Gary Clements kept the score at 0-0. The deadlock was broken in the 15th minute when Clements was unable to keep out an excellent strike from Joey Cunningham.

Magpies may have been down, but restored parity in the 25th minute with Alfie Little making it one-apiece. The host’s joy was short-lived as just a few minutes later Hilperton regained the lead courtesy of a second of the evening from Cunningham.

Hilperton had chances to increase their lead before half time, but a combination of good defending and poor finishing kept the score at 2-1. The visitors went into the break feeling aggrieved as they had what looked like a nailed-on penalty appeal turned down.

In the 57th minute, after hitting the post, Jake Samuel turned the ball home from close range to make it 3-1.

Hilperton then killed the game off with a fourth of the evening and a hat-trick goal for Cunningham who applied a great finish to an excellent team move when he fired home a sublime Liam Millburn cross in the 63rd minute.

Hilperton extended their lead further with another quality finish which was started in their own half by Kyle Matthews. He fed the ball forward where it finally arrived to Liam Millburn whose pinpoint cross picked out Rhys Fricker who applied a delightful finish to make it 5-1.

With minutes left on the clock, Semington grabbed themselves a consolation. Another bad challenge from Fricker saw the player escape a second booking, but resulted in a free kick that saw Tyler Dagger's deflected effort earn the hosts a second of the night.

It may be early days, but on the showing their first two outings Hilperton should be among the teams challenging for silverware come the end of the season. While Semington, for whom it was a second straight loss, can take a lot of positives from the game as they look to rebuild under new manager Andy Dyer after they almost called it a day prior to the start of the season.

The Duke FC collected their second straight victory in The Trowbridge Windows and Conservatories sponsored Division One with a 5–3 win against a spirited Freshford United team. Mark Lanfear opened the scoring for Freshford before Drew Adams levelled for The Duke. Adams scored again to put The Duke ahead before Max Whittaker and Adams again, to complete his hat-trick made it 4-1 putting The Duke in control.

Freshford refused to lie down and came roaring back into the game with strikes from James Cox and Andrea Pintore to reduce the deficit to just one. It proved to be just not enough though as Mark Young popped up to score the fifth for The Duke to ensure they collected all the points to continue their perfect start to the season.

Westbury United Reserves staged a remarkable comeback to beat Warminster United 6–5 in an exciting Division One encounter. Losing 5–3 with just 20 minutes remaining, Westbury rallied together to take all the points. Louis Wilkins led the way for Westbury with a brilliant hat-trick with goals from Chris Steele, Hamza Radam and Tyler Gane completing the scoring.

Heytesbury United started their season with an excellent 3–0 win against Division One newcomers Staverton Rangers. After a goalless first half, Callum Hotine opened the scoring, heading home a Myles Woodward cross. Hotine repeated his feat two minutes later, this time nodding home a cross from Adi Vintileanu. Adam Casserly completed the scoring rounding the keeper and scoring from 18 yards in the 61st minute.

Division Two

The Stiffs had to withstand a second-half fightback from Trowbridge Town Reserves to take all the points and maintain their unbeaten start to the season. Two goals from Stefan Brinzaru and one from Tom Wilkes gave The Stiffs a 3–0 lead going into the break. In the second half Trowbridge Town Reserves found some form with goals from Ryan Pickin and Jayden Whyte to make the final score 3–2.

Shrewton United Development had a remarkable start to life in The Trowbridge and District Football league, 5-4 to Potterne FC. Ash Huntley led the way for Potterne scoring a hat-trick, with strikes from Tom Lye and Doug Dickson adding three points to the one they collected last weekend. Shrewton United’s goals were scored by Sam Webb, Tyler Hull, Aiden Compton and Max Harris who must consider themselves unlucky in not taking a least a point from their first appearance in the league.

Bromham Owls bounced back from a heavy defeat last weekend to collect their first three points of the season beating Calne Eagles 2–1. Brad Woolford opened the scoring for Bromham before Karl Sharratt equalised for The Eagles with a 25-yard screamer taking the teams into the break level. In a very close game with chances for both sides, Samuel Wallis took the points for Bromham with the winner from a free kick. Dale Rowland went close to a second equaliser for Calne Eagles towards the end but was denied by an excellent save from the Bromham goalkeeper.

Thursday, August 19

Division One

Melksham Town Development secured their first victory of the season with a confident 4–1 win against Marshfield. Goals from Tom Thompson, Aaron Masson, Callum Howard and Josh Flynn secured the points for Melksham. Rory Smith replied for Marshfield.

Division Two

Seend United’s season has gotten off to a flying start in The Trowbridge Windows and Conservatories sponsored Division Two and Derek Wheeler seems to be unable to stop hitting the net. After scoring four times last weekend, Wheeler helped himself to a hat-trick in a 5–0 win over Westbury United ‘A’. Further strikes from Tom Rooney and Mark Reynolds ensured Seend start the season two wins from two.

Newcomers to The Trowbridge and District League, Bradford Town ‘A’ got their season off to a perfect start with a 5–1 win against promotion hopefuls Dilton Marsh Wanderers. Two strikes from Harrison Simmonds and one each from Oli Sterling, Oliver Felstead, and James Drake secured the points for Bradford. A free-kick smashed home by Jordan Lynk was the only reply from Dilton Marsh Wanderers.

Saturday, August 21 

Division One

Westbury United Reserves took advantage of a free week for Hilperton United and moved joint top of The Trowbridge Windows and Conservatories sponsored Division One with a 4–2 win against Semington Magpies.

16-year-old Todd Pearce had a day to remember for Westbury helping himself to a brace with Kye Teague and Max Bishop scoring the other goals to put Westbury level on points and goal difference with The Duke FC at the top of Division One. Kieron Fereday scored both goals for Semington Magpies who are improving steadily but still looking for their first points of the season.

The Duke FC kept up their 100 per cent record at the top of the league but were made to fight all the way against Warminster Town Reserves with a hard-fought 1–0 win. Sam McQueen scored the decisive goal with 10 minutes remaining leaving The Duke level at the top of the league with Westbury United Reserves.

After two straight defeats in their opening games, Freshford United earned their first point of the season with a 1–1 draw after their visit to Melksham Town Development in The Trowbridge Windows and Conservatories sponsored Division One. Gus Wright slotted home Freshford’s goal after an assist from Sol Vowell. Melksham’s goal was scored by Senad Shimaj.

After narrowly losing at Westbury United Reserves in mid-week, Warminster United responded with a hard-fought 1–0 win against Staverton Rangers on Saturday afternoon. A late substitute appearance from veteran Simon Mead made the difference for Warminster United with a sensational assist for Matt Dyer to score the goal that separated the teams.

Division Two

Seend United are looking particularly impressive this season and scoring for fun at the top of The Trowbridge Windows and Conservatories sponsored Division Two. A flurry of goals in the last 20 minutes saw the leaders rack up a 10–1 win over Calne Eagles. Free-scoring Derek Wheeler netted four and was helped with a double from Tom Rooney and single efforts from Jack Booth, Will Purdy, Mark Reynolds and Steve White. The consolation for Calne Eagles was scored by Micky Taraskevics.

Potterne FC moved to second place in The Trowbridge Windows and Conservatories sponsored Division Two with a thumping 10–0 win over Dilton Marsh Wanderers.

Goals from Tom Lye, Alex Surman, Carl Ledbury, Ash Huntley and Doug Dickson gave Potterne a 5–0 lead at the break. A further five goals were scored in the second half with two from Wayne House, a second strike from Tom Lye and one from Tom McCarthy to complete an excellent afternoon for Potterne.

Shrewton United Development picked up their first victory since joining The Trowbridge Windows and Conservatories sponsored Trowbridge and District Football League with a 4–2 win from their visit to Bromham Owls.

In the first 20 minutes of a hard-fought game, both teams struggled to get the upper hand until Brad Woolford almost opened the scoring for Bromham hitting the post after a near post cross from Tyler Beattie. With the first half goalless after 37 minutes, Sam Mortimer beat Bromham’s offside trap to burst through and slot home the opening goal for Shrewton to give them the lead at the break.

In the opening exchanges after the break Macaulay Stephens had a chance to increase Shrewton’s advantage but saw his shot come back off the post after 52 minutes, and three minutes later his team paid the price when Tyler Beattie equalised for the Owls with a far post finish after he earned Bromham a free kick.

Shrewton then pushed forward and in the 65th minutes Will Andrews struck to restore their lead. Andrews should have increased the lead further in the 70th minute but saw a thumping effort come back off the bar.

Five minutes later Shrewton's pressure did pay dividends when James Collins rose above the Bromham defence to head home form a corner. Bromham refused to give up, however, and only increased their efforts. With five minutes remaining, great work on the left from Jake Palmer saw him unselfishly pass to Kyle Smith who slotted home to score Bromham’s second.

With time running out, Bromham pushed forward looking for the equaliser and Shrewton had keeper Sam Gates to thank making two excellent stops to deny the home team. With Bromham pushing forward, a ball up field from Shrewton saw Macaulay Stephens break clear to score Shrewton’s fourth of the afternoon to make the game safe for the visitors.

Trowbridge Town Reserves collected their first win of the season with a 7–2 success against Westbury United ‘A’. A Jaydon Whyte hat-trick, two from Will Cooke, one from James Pennell, and an own goal saw Trowbridge collect the points. Aiden Fox and Josh Lewis were on the scoresheet for Westbury United ‘A’.

The game between The Stiffs and Bradford Town ‘A’ was abandoned after 65 minutes due to a serious injury to a Stiffs player.

For more information including latest news and league tables please go to and search for Trowbridge and District Football League. Also follow on Twitter @officialTDFL.